Back to Biggles recipe index
Fidel Castro - Dal Soup
Scrummy and what's more it's very hard for the pan to burn dry.
- Wash 10 oz channa dal (yellow split peas).
- Put the dal in a pot with 2.5 pints of stock (I use 2 Knorr chicken
stock cubes, but these are possbly not vegetarian).
- Add 24 black peppercorns and 15 whole cloves tied in a square of cheesecloth.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- Simmer gently for 1.5 hours or until the dal is soft (or 20 mins in
a pressure cooker)
- Strain the soup through a colander and press the dal through too (or
use a food processor, but don't make the mixture too fine).
- Squeeze the juices out from the cheesecloth into the soup.
- Add a little salt if the stock is not already salty enough.
- Serve with a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a comment in our Guest
-High Res Photos
Send email to: